Wednesday, October 27, 2010

In awe and wonder...

Recently, I have been noticing brilliant skies, (sunsets, sunrises, clouds, stars. etc.) The sky has been there all along, so why am I just now noticing? It would seem that in the past nine months the sky has become more awe-inspiring than ever before. And really, it seems that everywhere I look, not only in the sky, but everywhere- all of creation is screaming the glory of God! Have my eyes never been open before? How have I missed this? Literally, it blows my mind!
I was driving yesterday, and as I looked at the sky (and also the road,) I thought to myself, "that just doesn't even look real!" ~The sky was filled with so many colors of gorgeous blue, and the clouds were small and puffy and scattered randomly throughout the vast blue background. The colors in the trees and fields were stunningly beautiful... I felt like I was in a piece of art. I was smiling and laughing- alone in my car -because I was seeing so much beauty and I could not contain my ecstatic joy!
I've heard people say, "God put that there just for you!" That thought popped into my mind yesterday, but I was not inclined in that moment to look at creation and see my worth. I wasn't thinking about myself when I saw the breathtaking sky. I could not look at me when creation was clearly pointing to the glory of its Creator. He allowed me to see it, and stand in awe, but in that moment, I didn't see my worth, I saw the infinite greatness and worth of God. And I was humbled.
I had another moment like that just the other day... I was looking out from the window in my living room, mid morning, and one of the trees in my front yard was blazing with brilliant color. I didn't know that color could have so much life, but these leaves were vibrant with life, nothing about them looked to be dying or dead. This time the sky was just gray, plain and dull, but that was the perfect backdrop for the glowing tree. I stood there looking out the window for a very long time. And I pondered the greatness of God. I think if God put that there "just for me,'' then it was only that I might see my smallness, then be humbled and amazed by His goodness and love and glory.

"The earth, O LORD, is full of your steadfast love; teach me your statutes! "
~Psalm 119:64

 

No comments:

Post a Comment